Friday, May 1, 2009

Mapping the NL East


I've been wanting better data on international players for some time now, and inspired by TucsonRoyal's post at BtB a couple weeks ago I decided to get my hands dirty. 

I’m working with 40-man roster data from MLB.com and salary info from Cot's. If MLB said a player was born in New York, I counted him as American, even if he was signed out of Latin America; likewise, I'm counting a player as foreign-born regardless of where he signed. What to do with Puerto Rico? I'm counting it as a foreign country for convenience sake, if someone wants to talk me out of that I'm open. 

Overall, I counted 66 foreign-born players out of 194, or just over one-third. Some tidbits: the Braves are repping nine countries, more than any other team here; the Marlins lead the division in Canadians, with two, the Phillies lead in Australians, with three, and the Nationals are tops in players from the Netherlands Antilles, also with two; three of four Mets catchers hail from Puerto Rico. I also counted nine Hispanic-Americans in the division: at least, I think. I'm interested in keeping track of this, though haven't had a chance to check Matt Chico's or Ricky Nolasco's biographies. 

I hope to move through the divisions in weeks and months to come: it took me a stupid amount of time, though, so I'll probably exploit my NL East data a few more times before I move on.

(I compiled the data by copying MLB.com's 40-man rosters into a spreadsheet, than clicking on every player's name to check their birthplace. If anyone wants to suggest a better way of compiling the data, please (please) let me know...)

2 comments:

  1. Americans don't even make the list for you, huh Pat? We're not good enough to be "Foreign Born Players?" Screw you, man. Elitist.

    ReplyDelete